Religion 1850 up to 1900

St. Paul's Church Schwerin 1869 St. Paul's Church Schwerin 1869

region Mecklenburg

Under the leadership of Theodor Kliefoth, the High Consistory reorganised the Protestant church in the state. Resistance or deviations were suppressed. With the involvement of the High Consistory, Frederick Francis II. arranged for 83 new churches to be built in Mecklenburg-Schwerin and 192 others to be fully rebuilt. All public officers had to hold evangelical beliefs.

The official equalisation of the Jews occurred in 1869 when Mecklenburg joined the North German Confederation. Yet by 1900 the figure of around 2, 000 Jews had fallen in Mecklenburg-Schwerin by around 10% and in Mecklenburg-Strelitz by around 32%. The number of Catholics at this time grew in this time to approximately 2 – 3% of the population.

more
Nowa_Synagoga_w_Szczecinie_03 1875 Synagogue in Stettin, completed 1875

region Western Pomerania

The Pomeranian Evangelical Church is divided into 56 districts. 144 new churches are built, mainly in Neogothic style. Old Lutherans live in Cammin and Slupsk.

The new synagogue with space for 1,700 believers opens 1875 in Stettin.

There are Catholic congregations in Stettin, Stralsund, Stargard, Greifswald, Bergen and Pasewalk. The Catholic settlers in Pasewalk are permitted to recruit one priest of their choice. Emil Stephan, a priest in Anklam, is incarcerated several times and prohibited from preaching during the 'clash of the cultures' between 1873 and 1883.