Mecklenburg flag

material, coloured, before 1990, length: 134.0 cm

From 1963 to 1990 a Mecklenburg flag flew alongside the state flag of Schleswig-Holstein above the parliament building in Kiel. The flag was an expression of the parliament of Schleswig-Holstein‘s sponsorship in 1963 of the re-establishment of the state of Mecklenburg. On 30th October 1990 the flag was handed over in a celebration in the parliament of Schleswig-Holstein by its president, Liane Paulina-Mürl, to Rainer Prachtel, the president of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania’s parliament.

The flags of the states dissolved in the GDR 1952 also hung in the plenary hall of the town hall in Berlin-Schöneberg until 1990 with a reunification in mind. After German reunification these were displayed by the Berlin regional association of exiles in the Berlin Deutschlandhaus. In 2010 the Mecklenburg flag was transferred from there to the Mecklenburg Foundation.

more

Text: M. R.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Stiftung Mecklenburg

Stiftung Mecklenburg

Schliemannstaße 2
19053 Schwerin (Eingang zur Ausstellung: Puschkinstraße)

info@stiftungmecklenburg.de

www.stiftung-mecklenburg.de