Cup of welcome of the Wismar shipping company

1673, gilded silver, height: 71.7 cm

From the end of the 16th century all of the town’s ships were organised under the Wismar shipping company. In 1673 the company awarded the contract for this partly gilded silver goblet. Such gaudy receptacles were used in ceremonies held by the administrative bodies and guilds on festive occasions. The front edge of the foot of the goblet bears the Wismar city arms and the guild symbol of Stefan Bornemanns, who acquired Wismar citizenship in 1667. These markings were required of Wismar goldsmiths from the 15th century onwards as a seal of quality.

Text: S. S.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Stadtgeschichtliches Museum der Hansestadt Wismar

Stadtgeschichtliches Museum der Hansestadt Wismar

SCHABBELL

Beguinenstraße 4
23966 Wismar

museum@wismar.de

www.schabbellhaus.de