High altar of the Antonite church in Tempzin

painted wood, Wismar, 1411, width: 410 cm

The altar, which is one of the most striking and mysterious in northern Germany, is believed to have been built in 1411. In the church, which was also a hospital and pilgrim church, it reflected different needs. At the time a Wismar citizen donated money to appoint two priests at an altar of the newly constructed church.  Built in Wismar, the painted Passion altar combines ancient and strongly expressive elements from the 14th century with current echoes of Burgundian court art.

Facilitators were the most influential painters at the time: Master Bertram of Minden, who worked in Hamburg, and Conrad von Soest. The Westphalian components are strongly brought to bear in this painted altar screen. There are also connections to Wismar glass painting and Doberan monastery. The sculptural elements are limited to the border and the unusual arched crest with the face of Christ. The predella was once used to display relics, primarily busts.

Schwerin museum acquired the former high altar in 1905.

more

Text: K. H.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Staatliches Museum Schwerin

Staatliches Museum Schwerin

Alter Garten 3
19055 Schwerin

www.museum-schwerin.de