Paul Krüger: Chess board with figures in a material pouch from special camp 9 – “Fünfeichen”

wood/textile, 1945-1948, height of figures: up to 9 cm

After the end of the Second World War the occupying powers built detainment camps for Nazi criminals and criminals of war. The Soviet Union used, amongst other places, the former Fünfeichen prisoner of war camp as “special camp 9.” Through denunciation and “anticipatory obedience” many innocent people were also detained. Fünfeichen was not closed down until 1948. More than 5,000 of the detainees did not survive the terrible conditions in the camp.

The chess board testifies to the desire to live manifested by one of the refugees: Paul Krüger, a master fisherman.

Text: R. V.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

Look here for the original exhibit:

Regionalmuseum Neubrandenburg

Regionalmuseum Neubrandenburg

Treptower Straße 38
17033 Neubrandenburg

museum@neubrandenburg.de

www.museum-neubrandenburg.de