Street sign with Cyrillic lettering

sheet metal, enamel-plated, 1945;
length: 60 cm

The Soviet commander of the city orders that street signs be put up in Anklam to help Red Army soldiers find their away around during the Soviet occupation after the Second World War. The Cyrillic lettering on the sign reads: 'Friedländer Landstraße', whereby 'Straße' for 'street' is abbreviated as 'ul.'.

Anklam is home to an armaments industry. The fierce fighting in the final days of the war in May 1945 leaves it the most devastated city in Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania.

Text: W.H., W.Ka.

The exhibit refers to:

Western Pomerania until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Museum im Steintor

Museum im Steintor

Schulstraße 1
17389 Anklam/Vorpommern


info@museum-im-steintor.de

museum-im-steintor.de