Wolgast Palace, pearl embroidery

first half of the 19th century;
width: 19.5 cm

Wolgast has mourned the loss of its former residential palace since the mid-19th century. The last structural remains were carted away around 1850. This pearl embroidery with its motif of the palace ruin, enclosed in a small frame made of four wooden rods, was produced around the same time. The pearl embroidery used green silk as its base, which was attached to the wood by threads and then tightened. Beige ivory plugs are inserted over the ends of the wooden pieces.

Exhibiting a delight in colour, the artist used tiny, variegated pearls to bring the ruin of Wolgast Palace back to life in this representation.

Pearl embroidery was a very popular pass time, especially among women. The technique was also used to add lovingly fashioned details to everyday items. Caps for small children, bracelets and women's belts are known examples.

Text: B. R.

The exhibit refers to:

Western Pomerania until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Museen der Stadt Wolgast

Museen der Stadt Wolgast

Rathausplatz 6
17438 Wolgast


museum@wolgast.de

www.museum.wolgast.de