Photograph with a total view of Germany's oldest single-ended ferry

The last single-ended, steam ferry in this series, used to transport rolling stock, is berthed in the Museumshafen in Wolgast, close to the Amazonenbrücke. This former rail ferry circulated between Stralsund and Altefähr, as well as in Swinemünde and until 1990 in Wolgast. It was used as an icebreaker and to transport V2 rockets on behalf of the military research facility in Peenemünde.

Captain Rudolf Kleiner prevented scuppering of the ship in 1945.

Wolgast, where the ship served out its final years, feels a duty to preserve this monument to the history of engineering. A society supports the owner, the City of Wolgast, in preserving the vessel. Enthusiasts contribute ideas, practical assistance and initiative to keep the ship afloat and ensure its future use.

Text: B. R.

The exhibit refers to:

Western Pomerania until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Museen der Stadt Wolgast

Museen der Stadt Wolgast

Rathausplatz 6
17438 Wolgast


museum@wolgast.de

www.museum.wolgast.de