Model of the WILHELM PIECK training sailing ship

1957, scale: 1:50; length: 86 cm

The only German iron schooner brig was built in 1951 under the name of WILHELM PIECK in the Warnemünde-Warnow shipyard. The constructor was Wilhelm Schröder. The ship was to be a present from the state of Mecklenburg to the President of the GDR, Wilhelm Pieck, on the occasion of his 75th birthday. The ship was commissioned on 2nd August 1951. Yet Pieck donated the ship for training young sailors in the GDR. The WILHELM PIECK was given to the Sport and Technology Association (GST) and used as a training ship for cadets in the merchant navy and later the people’s navy.

The home port was the later “GST base” in Greifswald-Wiek. The ship’s first captain was Ernst Weitendorf from Rostock. The Hanseatic city of Greifswald took over the ship in 1990. It was renamed GREIF and remained as a monument to shipbuilding. The sailing ship is often a guest at meets of tall ships and traditional sailers.

more

Text: P. DC.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

Look here for the original exhibit:

Schifffahrtsmuseum Rostock

Schifffahrtsmuseum Rostock

Maritime Museum Rostock

IGA Rostock 2003 GmbH
Schmarl-Dorf 40
18106 Rostock

www.schifffahrtsmuseum-rostock.de