Inkwell from the Brethren of the Common Life fraternity house

Clay, Rostock, around 1500

The Brethren of the Common Life arrive in Rostock at the end of the 15th century, settling in St Michael's Monastery on the south-east side of Schwaansche Strasse. Here, from 1476 on, they operate north Germany's second oldest print shop for books. An archaeologically validated, larger basin with a rounded shape, recovered from the fraternity house, may have been used to manufacture paper. Besides a complete book cover, the digs uncovered 20 clay inkwells, which confirm that the monks were skilled in reading and writing.

Text: S. St.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Kulturhistorisches Museum Rostock

Kulturhistorisches Museum Rostock

Kloster zum Heiligen Kreuz
Klosterhof 7
18055 Rostock

kulturhistorisches.museum@rostock.de

www.kulturhistorisches-museum-rostock.de