Model of the “Michelenburg”

1995, width: 115 cm

The model aimed to communicate the size of the Slavic castle “wiligrad – michelenburg.” Located approximately 6 km south of Wismar Bay the fortification was built in the 6th/7th century B.C. as the ancestral seat of the Obotrites. The wall was higher than 10 metres and its oval part covered an area of 1.4 hectares. Its construction combined layers of timber planks and compressed earth, which was unusual in Slavic castles. The hill is one of the first recorded archaeological monuments in Mecklenburg.

The model is based on scientific investigations conducted by a team of experts between 1969 and 1971.

Text: F. H.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Kreisagrarmuseum Dorf Mecklenburg

Kreisagrarmuseum Dorf Mecklenburg

Rambower Weg
23972 Dorf Mecklenburg

agrarmuseum@nordwestmecklenburg.de

www.nordwestmecklenburg.de