Glasses with leather frame

Nuremberg?, early 16th century, length: 9.5 cm

Reading aids have been around since the late Middle Ages but were expensive. The glasses apparently belonged to a nun from the Poor Clare Convent in Ribnitz. It is believed that, after getting damaged, they were hidden under the nun’s pew so as not to jeopardise their wonderful powers as an optical aid by carelessly throwing them away. Similar glasses were found in convents in Lüneburger Heath.

Text: A. A.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Deutsches Bernsteinmuseum Ribnitz-Damgarten

Deutsches Bernsteinmuseum Ribnitz-Damgarten

Im Kloster 1-2
18311 Ribnitz-Damgarten

verwaltung@deutsches-bernsteinmuseum.de

www.deutsches-bernsteinmuseum.de